[Skip to content]

West Somerset Mineral Railway Project go to homepagelink to heritage lottery fund website
.

Langham Engine House

The ruins of Langham Engine House comprise the bases of the walls of a former boiler and engine house, water reservoir, chimney, balance bob, flywheel pit and gantry piers.


They have been preserved by virtue of their being partly removed to Burrow Farm in 1879, and the landowner subsequently requiring that the walls be covered with soil. 

 

Langham Engine House site in March 2008
Langham Engine House site in March 2008

 

 

 

The elements of the complex were at first almost indistinguishable. However, Mike Jones’ detailed drawings, completed when the site was excavated, make it possible to work out the layout of the complex.  

 

 

Langham Engine house after completion of conservation work
Langham Engine house after completion of conservation work

 

 

Excavations by the Exmoor Mines Research Group exposed the remains in 1995, and the current project provided an opportunity to conserve the ruins in a way that made them more accessible to the public.

 

 

 

 

Langham Engine House during conservation looking west
Langham Engine House during conservation looking west

 

 The conservation work involved the repair of all of the wall tops and the rebuilding of some areas where facing stones and brick had been removed.

 

Without this repair work, the building complex would have continued to deteriorate rapidly and would also have been unsafe.

 

 

 

 

 

...top